IERC Protocol for COVID-19
IERC Mail Handling and Cleaning Protocol for COVID-19
Policy Date: 4/6/2020; Revised 8/24/2020
The Indiana Educational Resource Center (IERC) is a statewide repository of braille and large print textbooks as well as specialized aids and equipment for students who are blind or have low vision. We fulfill orders and ship instructional materials across the state of Indiana to local education agencies (LEA’s) as well as receive returned instructional materials form the LEA’s and ordered materials from vendors.
Due to the vast physical collection of braille, large print and specialized aids and equipment housed at the IERC, as well as the processing of incoming and outgoing mail, we have updated our mail handling and cleaning policy to ensure that the cleaning and disinfecting of instructional materials is consistent with the CDC guidance relating to the current COVID-19 pandemic. The IERC implemented will continue to modify our policy as things change.
High touch, hard non-porous surfaces will be cleaned with soap and water, then disinfected regularly throughout the day with an EPA List N approved disinfectant.
All staff and visitors, when in the IERC, will follow the mask, social distancing, hygiene, and disinfectant policies and procedures. Hand sanitizer dispensers are strategically located for use by staff and visitors.Incoming Mail:
- All incoming shipments to the IERC will be moved to a separate detention location for 24 hours. All boxes and packages will be dated upon receipt prior to being moved to the designated hold location.
- After 24 hours, packages will be delivered to the IERC for processing. The IERC will have a designated area for these materials to be opened and cleaned.
- Staff will glove up and clean all incoming inventory with an EPA approved disinfectant that has been documented to kill the COVID-19 virus.
- Once cleaned, all items will be moved to disinfected carts and other hard surfaces, prior to going back onto shelves to ensure items are not re-exposed to possible contaminants.
- All boxes from incoming mail will be removd to designated areas.
- Schools returning items to the IERC should wipe them down with a disinfectant cleaner as recommended by the CDC or EPA as items are packed up for mailing back to the IERC. Note: What we have read from the CDC is that this virus is not a resistant virus, in other words any EPA List N household disinfectant will kill it. Soft or porous materials (carpet, cloth, and paper) are not of current concern for disinfecting as the virus will not re-aerosol from these surfaces and they are not thought to be a transmission route for the virus as hard surfaces are.
- All orders pulled for shipment will be disinfected prior to packing.
- LEA’s should hold boxes and packages shipped from the IERC for at least 24 hours prior to opening.
- We recommend that staff at local schools receiving materials wear gloves when handling incoming boxes and removing materials from their containers.
Recommended Cleaning Agents
4 teaspoons of bleach per quart of water
70% (or more) rubbing alcohol (not diluted)
Below are a few of the commercial brands from this list that are seen in the stores. Other items
on the list may be available as well.
Lysol Brand Bleach Multi-Purpose Cleaner
Lysol Brand Bleach Mold and Mildew Remover
Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist
Clorox 4 In One Disinfecting Spray
Clorox Clean Up Cleaner + Bleach
Clorox Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner
Clorox Multi Surface Cleaner + Bleach